The American Indian Vocational Rehabilitation (VR) Program is designed to assist eligible Native Americans with disabilities in becoming employed.
In Oklahoma, the program provides culturally appropriate services to individuals through a cooperative agreement between the state of Oklahoma and federal and tribal service providers.
Each Oklahoma tribal vocational rehabilitation program has a working partnership with DRS. VR clients have the option to work with both programs during the rehabilitation progress.
Examples of available services include vocational, medical and psychological evaluations, vocational counseling and guidance, physical and mental restoration, training, rehabilitation equipment and devices and job placement.
In counties served by participating nations or tribes, individuals may be eligible for services if they:
- have proof of citizenship from a state or federally recognized tribe,
- reside within an area served by a participating nation or tribe,
- have physical or mental disabilities which are barriers to employment,
- can benefit from vocational rehabilitation services to obtain an employment outcome, and
- require VR services to get, keep or return to work.
A tribal liaison from the Department of Rehabilitation Services provides technical assistance to the program which is funded through the U. S. Department of Education Grant Office of Special Education and Rehabilitation Services.
Oklahoma Works brings all of our state’s workforce resources together, connecting employers, employees and job-seekers to information and programs that help build Oklahoma’s workforce.
Steps to success
Step 1: Locate an office nearest you, use this link to find the state office and contact information that serves your area.
Step 2: Call for an appointment
Step 3: Fill out an application
Step 4: Gather as much medical information as you can
Step 5: Show up for the appointment to complete the application
Keys to Success
- Keep in contact with your counselor
- Let him or her know if you move or change phone numbers
- Complete any assignments