Senior Citizens Hearing Aid Project

The Senior Citizens Hearing Aid Program (SCHAP) is administered by the Oklahoma School for the Deaf in the Department of Rehabilitation Services. To qualify for the program you must meet four criteria.

  • Be at least 60 years of age.
  • Be a resident of the State of Oklahoma
  • Be on a limited income. See guidelines.
  • Have a 35 decibel hearing loss in your better ear.
  • One of our audiologists will administer a hearing test and determine your degree of hearing loss.

To apply for the program you must complete an application form and send it in to our office, along with verification of your total income. We are required to have a record of your total income in our files. If you currently file income tax with the IRS, we need to see a copy of the front page of your 1040, plus verification of your Social Security income. Because Social Security income is often not declared on the 1040, we do need to see both. If you do not file with the IRS., we need to see alternative documentation of your income. This must include a copy of a recent bank statement. The SCHAP program has very limited funding and ends every year with a waiting list of customers we were unable to serve. Being firm about seeing documentation of income helps us feel confident that we are meeting our legal requirement of serving low-income senior citizens. We will not authorize your hearing test until we have all the required documentation in our files.

Income Guidelines


# in family


Monthly income guideline

 1 $2,614
 2 $3,520
3 $4,426
4 $5,332
 5 $6,238
6 $7,144
7 $8,050
8 $8,956

If your income is above the guideline, a co-payment will be charged. The co-payment will equal 10 percent of the difference between your monthly income and the monthly income guideline.

We also need to know which audiologist you would like to use. You must select an office from our list of participating audiologists. We will send you a list of participating audiologists with your application form. You can indicate your selection on the slip at the end of the list.

Once we have received all the necessary paperwork, we will fax an authorization to the audiologist you select. We will mail you a letter with instructions to make an appointment for a hearing test. If your hearing loss qualifies you for a hearing aid, the audiologist will take an ear mold impression and order a hearing aid for you. You will then make another appointment to have the aid fitted. We are, unfortunately, only able to pay for one hearing aid. You can discuss the cost of purchasing a second aid with the audiologist if you choose. The kind of aid you receive, in the ear or behind the ear, will be decided based on the results of the hearing test, and discussion between you and the audiologist.

Senior Citizens Hearing Aid Project