If hearing or speech problems make it difficult to access the telephone, the Oklahoma Equipment Distribution Program may be able to assist you. The Oklahoma Equipment Distribution Program strives to make communication accessible to Oklahomans of all ages through various programs. Qualifying individuals may receive services and equipment at little or no cost.
What to Bring
We are required to have a physical record of your total income in our files. If you currently file income tax with the I.R.S., we need a copy of your return along with verification of any Social Security income. If you do not file with the I.R.S., we need alternative documentation of your income. This must include a copy of a recent bank statement.
To be eligible, a person must:
- Be a resident of the State of Oklahoma.
- Provide verification (proof) of hearing or speech impairment
- List any other contributing disability (i.e. blindness, visual impairment, physical disability, etc.) This must be verifiable.
- List income. (See form for details)
- Requests for Captioned Telephones (CapTel) require an audiogram.
The following people are qualified to verify applicant's disability:
- Any physician licensed to practice medicine in the State of Oklahoma
- Speech pathologist
- Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor
- Other individual or agency with records to verify disability
If you need more information, contact the Equipment Distribution Program Office.